The history of creating decorative items made of Venetian glass goes back to the deep Middle Ages. Secrets of its production penetrated into the territory of the Republic of Venice at the turn of 11-12 centuries from eastern countries, directing their merchant caravans to this largest shopping center in Europe. Local craftsmen mastered the art of blowing dishes, figures and colored glass jewelry and gradually surpassed their foreign teachers. You can find many fine glassware at https://glassartstories.com/.
In order to preserve the monopoly on production, the Venice authorities organized the total resettlement of all glassblowers on the nearby island of Murano, where masters for several centuries honed their skills in complete isolation from the outside world and reached perfection in this art. The glassblowers enjoyed unheard of privileges, were surrounded by honors and lived well, but they could not leave their island, which became the place of their imprisonment, because of the strictest prohibition of the authorities. Their products were literally in high demand, Murano glassware adorned the residences of the world’s largest royal dynasties and were sometimes valued above gold.
Precious glass is the cultural heritage of humanity
Centuries passed, epochs changed, states disappeared and were born, but the skill of Venetian glass blowers did not pass away. Their products are in demand up to now: jewelry, dishes, vases made of Murano glass are the expositions of the largest museums of the world and willingly bought by collectors. What is the value of this “magic” glass? Why it took a place among the masterpieces of fine art and retains such a high value? Let us try to find the answers to these questions.
- The art of creating objects made of Venetian glass is an integral part of a centuries-old history full of mysteries and passions. This constant quest for perfection, the embodiment of the struggle for supremacy, evidence of loud glory, a long period of oblivion, and, finally, the triumphant revival of ancient craft.
- Each item is unique and inimitable, as it is made exclusively by hand. It is based on breath, the soul of the master itself, part of his vital energy. Like an alchemist, a glassblower in the process of production adds to the molten mass one known ingredients in one proportion or another. And the finished glass is the product exclusively of his talent and inspiration.
- Murano glass is very diverse, each of its species was born experimentally, recipes for its manufacture were honed and perfected over the centuries: transparent, colorless, dairy, colored, chalcedony, mosaic and filigree – this is not the whole list of varieties of this priceless material for true creativity.
- It is also important to note that ancient technologies have undergone almost no changes, they are kept in the strictest secrecy, passed from mouth to mouth from generation to generation. And so far, no one “from outside” has managed to unravel the mysteries of the birth of this transparent miracle.
- Any object can be used in the design of rooms, and the best world designers do not miss this opportunity. And vases for flowers, bowls and exquisite dishes in the most solemn cases can become the basis of a festive table setting and bring true joy of using them for their intended purpose.
- Products have high artistic value. Vases, statuettes, figures from Murano glass are very expressive. Each line, each bend is different elegance and almost lively grace. Amazing combinations of colors, their purity and texture of the drawing fascinate, make you immerse your eyes for a long time in these mysterious flashes and reflections.